Today marks two years since we collected #Malcthedog – for those of you who don’t know our boy, who are you and why are you not following the tales of Malcy over on Instagram?
I know everyone probably thinks it about their own dog, but I can confirm that you will never find a dog as handsome as our Malcolm. He is a proper little king and we adore him. Who needs babies when you’ve got a four legged son of your own?
October 16th 2015 we collected MTD. We got him from a seller on preloved – a man called Malcolm who had two strokes and could no longer give him the life he had hoped when he had originally gotten him. Whilst it was an absolutely heartbreaking decision for him, he was doing the best thing for MTD and we promised we’d give Malc (previously ‘Churchie’) the best life possible.
Having never had a dog of my own, I was obsessed with the idea of getting one of our own once we moved out. We did a lot of researching, looking for a breed that would suit our lifestyle. We both work fulltime so it was agreed that I’d come home everyday at lunch to let out and walk the dog before heading back to work for a couple more hours. I cannot stress how important it is to think about how a dog will fit into your lifestyle before going and falling in love with one.
Once we got into the car, Malc (who at that point didn’t have a name – we weren’t wanting to call him Churchie so it took a few days for him to have an actual name) sat on my knee the whole way home, and as we pulled off in the car he let out a fart. We instantly knew he was the one for us. I took some time off work to spend it with him and crate train him, and now here we are – two years later.
There are lots of things I’ve learnt since getting a dog, so I thought I’d share them.
- I cannot stress the importance of spending good money on poo bags. It only takes once for your finger to go through – and your life will never be the same. (Queue me retching and swearing the garden whilst the builders next door pissed themselves with laughter within about 3 days of Malc moving in)
- You’ll never have anything nice again. Everything is contaminated with dog slob and dog hair- and do you know what? You won’t even mind.
- Don’t believe everything you read on the internet. Bulldogs don’t fart, shed or bark do they not? I’m calling bullshit on that…
- You will never know love like it. There is nothing like the pitter patter of doggy feet on the floor when you walk into the house after a day at work. Nothing like having a doggy hot water bottle leaning on you on the sofa.
- They can be a pain in the arse (walking in the rain? no thanks) but they only enhance your life. I cannot imagine life without him now and he is the best purchase we’ve ever made. Our little family is complete for the time being!
So heres to Malc the Dog. You’re the bloody best.